Translate

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Things My Mother Said


My Mother always told me, you will know her on first sight,
You will look into her eyes and you will see a light.
She said to me, that light you see, is deep within her soul.
And only you can see this light, this is what she told.
She will know it when you see her, she will know it in her soul.
This is what my Mother said, this is what she told.

Can you imagine the way I felt, when first this light I saw,
For it seemed in the larger scheme of things, I drew the shorten straw.
I tried and tried to make you see, the things my Mother told.
I tried and tried to make you feel, my eyes upon your soul.

Then came the day, I went away, so I thought that light would pass.
Perhaps in the Newer World, I'd find a fairer lass.
Not a day went by, that I didn't see that light,
It shone on me like the moon above, each and every night.


I've worked at it I'll have you know, to make it go away.
I even went to sea, you see, and rode the lonely bay.
For sailors they will tell you, the sea wipes clean the slate.
And you will love the ship your on, yes, you will be her mate.

But then the moon, it rose, a shimmering on the sea
But then the moon, it rose, bringing you to me.
I promise I will find you, for I saw the light within your soul.
And only I can see this light, this is what my Mother said, this is what she told.

                                       George Henry Nichols
                                          Easter Sunday 1667
                                                                                         ©

2 comments:

  1. I miss your mother, she was a great lady and had a lovely heart.

    ReplyDelete