Translate

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Why I love the Rich Guy




Right this very minute, I am poor as church mice. And I want to speak about why I love the rich guy, and why I want the government to leave the rich guy the hell alone.

I’ve done a lot of things in my life, had a lot of jobs and only once did a poor man give me a job, and the check bounced. So I don’t work for poor people any more.

I’ve worked for large companies with lots of benefits and I’ve worked for the guy building a dream. I’ll take the guy building a dream anytime.

I worked for this fellow once, over in Alabama, he had six-hundred acres on Styx River, and his dream was a nice suburban neighborhood with all the property water-front.

He went out and bought a tractor, a big bull-dozer and a little bull-dozer, and track-hoe, an earth-mover (scraper), a grader, a roller, a front end loader, a dump-truck and a fire-truck. He bought all this at an auction, it was all used, and he got it cheap.

He hired a retired engineer, me and a mechanic. And starting from a bench mark on the state bridge crossing the river, we worked our way onto the property and eighteen months later we had cleared two-hundred acres of overgrowth, built three dammed lakes and one dug (excavated)  lake, laid, ditched and paved three miles of road, including mining the road building dirt, and back-filling the pits. He even grew his own hay, and you’d be amazed at how much hay a job like that takes.

Three of us, and the boss. When the job was finished, I stood amazed at what we had accomplished, how much earth had been moved as we shaped the landscape into a neighborhood. Three of us and the boss.

Now I bet you think I’m talking about the boss being the rich man, you’d be wrong. The rich man was the fellow who bought all of that equipment new. Whatever it was he did with all that equipment, he was done with it now, and it went up for sale at a price the fellow I was working for, the fellow with a dream, could afford.  Giving me a job, and the privilege of being part of a dream.

The rich man is different today than in the time of King Herod. Today in America, the better the rich do, the better we all do.  He isn’t greedy, he is extravagant and we all benefit from it.

When the rich man is flush with money, he gets his car washed, he get’s his grass mowed, his house painted. And he also has to have a new car, a new TV, a new computer, new furniture, new stove, new ice-box and on and on.

Because he has to have the latest and greatest, he pays the very high price placed on an item when it is new to the market, ie…the flat screen TV. Thus supplying the money for research, development and production while creating a market, his lust for what is new, makes what is new, possible.

If you shop smart, all the stuff displaced by what the rich has to have, goes onto the market somewhere. Starting with the yard-sale, flea-markets, antique markets, collectible shops, Paula’s Cheaper Choices… so on and so forth…

I have driven nice cars my entire life, but never a new one, I let the rich buy it, drive it, work the bugs out of it, then when he’s tired of it, I buy it, and enjoy it the same as he.

In 1976 I bought a ten year old Lincoln Continental for seven-hundred dollars. It was a Lincoln Continental, it was a beautiful automobile; it rode like a cloud, quiet as a mouse, fast as the wind. It was the fastest car I ever owned, I drove this automobile for ten years; it was the change in the gasoline which brought an end to it. A beautiful automobile, truly an Art Form, a master piece of American engineering, and I paid seven-hundred dollars for it because some rich guy had to have it, and paid the 8,000 dollar sticker price of 1966.

You want a good set of pots and pans, can’t afford them, go to the flea-market, you’ll find them. Whatever you want, a rich guy just got a new one, and what he no longer needs or wants goes into the market-place somewhere.  

So not only does the rich man build dreams and create jobs, he enjoys life; let us enjoy it right along with him. Serve him, and inherit his spill-over.

This is part of what makes America so bountiful, so wonderful, because the market place is busting at the seams, and prices low, when the rich man is doing well.

Let us leave him to his work, and let us help him work.  And tell the Government to butt the hell out. ©


George Henry Nichols 

No comments:

Post a Comment